Thanks for visiting. I'll come in often to share some random thoughts about my art making. Happy viewing, and drop me a line or two @comment to let me know what you think :)

Saturday 3 August 2013

Continuing with textured surfaces

Never get dictated by former plans!

I am absolutely loving this #5 canvas.  The process of construction and deconstruction thrilled me once again!  Can't help but give myself a "like" for the courage I took to deconstruct, just to find that moment of satisfaction - a guide I use to complete a painting made out of imagination.

First deconstruction happened when an overworked surface was totally ruined, no way to be revived.  I had to stretch a new canvas on the stretchers which I specifically ordered from my framer.  I was happier to use my own familiar canvas which has the durability for the mixed media.

Again, I overworked the background by putting in too much paints too carelessly.  It was quicker to give it a shower, but gosh! some gels were rubbed off which freaked me out.  To my surprise though, when it was dried overnight, some amazing marks appeared with the residual paints! 
The "circle flowers" in my mind did not come out quite right.  They were shutting one another out.  And I remembered I wanted a lighter tone for this piece.
Lightened the background, also lightened the middle patch which took on a new look.  Also gave a good wash off the green on the one at the edge under the running tap.  But still the background was not alright.  
I took the risk to construct another textured area to create a visual link, but I felt I was creating a new distance.
Added a new circle to get them closer.  But something wrong with the big circle ...

The painting continues.  


3 comments:

  1. Interesting process and progress! I feel in this particular piece it has developed quite considerably well with the few latest additions in texture, color and flowers. This is just my take. So, with that, I look forward to the next phase posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tkx for your comment & appreciation, Tony. I'm largely happy with the colors. I just had a touch on it yesterday. Not sure if it was ok and I meant to go back and view it with fresh eyes this morning. I'm also examining other pieces in the same series to hopefully make some final touches.

      Delete
  2. You're welcome! I am in agreement with you on the colors. I think they create a very meaningful atmosphere as well add story to the overall painting itself. The viewing with "fresh eyes" I feel can be very helpful in re-examining as well as even sometimes "adding" new and fresh ideas! Excited to see the series final touches! Please post if possible. Thank you. . ..

    ReplyDelete